In 1985-86, the level of the Sea of Galilee dropped considerably owing to a drought, and the mud bottom of the lake off the former shoreline became exposed. At a distance of 1.5 kms north of the shore of the ancient town of Migdal, the remains of a wood fishing boat could be seen jutting from the mud. The boat was in a good state of preservation, since it had been completely buried in mud. It was 8 meters long. A preliminary examination determined that its mortise and tenon type construction was in use in the eastern Mediterranean region from the Second millennium BCE until the end of the Roman period. Carbon-14 tests, history, some sherds and coins found at the site allow us to date the boat to the first century BCE and first century CE.
Exhibited at: The Yigal Allon Center, Ginosar. IAA No. 87-1582
Excavated by: S. Vaxmann on behalf of the IAA.